Last Updated on April 17, 2023 by admin
When you think about maintaining your beauty, you need to think more than your face and body. Your hair is also a part of your body that can give you that sparkling beauty and a feeling of goodness that you are looking for in beauty products. There are several hair types just as there are different skin types. Each hair type has a type of hair products to help maintain it strong and healthy. Oily hair is one of the hair types, and if you have this type of hair then you know that it can be irritating, pesky, greasy, and always looking dirty. But before you give up on taking care of it, probably it is time to change your hair products and most importantly the shampoo. Several hair shampoos are specifically made for oily hair. Here is a list of good shampoos for oily hair that you should try out before giving up on your hair.
Who ought to acquire shampoo for oily hair?
The primary product audience is those people who have oily hair. Many people concentrate on the body and the face and forget that hair is one of the reflections to their bodies and get seen by each one they come across. The shampoo for oily hair helps people minimize scalp skin minute openings that boost the growth of hair. Additionally, the shampoo helps in killing all the germs, and by the end of it all, they reduce irritation on the sensitive skin. The shampoo also works great in removing all the grease from the hair and thus gives it enough time to breathe. The people with oily hair usually have a problem with dandruff, and the shampoo often helps in the elimination of dandruff
How we singled out the best shampoo for greasy hair
With the help of Sarah Johnson, Senior style and beauty editor, the team was able to sort out the best oily hair shampoo in the market. The sorting got done by her adverse knowledge on the beauty products and the best ingredient she knows ought to be in the shampoo. After that, she went ahead together with the procurement team to sort out the best oily hair shampoo in the market by talking to several users as well as respective shampoo manufacturers. Compiling her knowledge as a beauty professional, she was able to select the best shampoo for oily hair.
How we tested
We invested in buying the best selected oily shampoos, and we were able to give to different people around us. The people had greasy hair, and therefore it was secure monitoring their progress for a month. Y the end of the one month the shampoos had worked and we were able to compile the list of the best shampoo in the market.
1. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo is from Neutrogena, a company that focuses on producing beauty products for both body and hair care. Although it can be used on any hair type, it is best for oily hairs as it has the ability to remove 90% residue after just one wash.
- Oily hairs tend to dull down, and this shampoo is manufactured with essentials that will help enhance the volume of your hair once you start using.
- The packaging of the shampoo is done in a sleek design bottle, and it also lasts longer despite the need to use it weekly.
- It is a perfect choice shampoo if you travel a lot and just want to maintain your hair looking sleek.
- You only need to use it once every week to make your hair look strong, healthy, and sleek
- It cannot be used alone, and you have to use it with your regular hair shampoo for it to be effective.
- It also has a bad smell which you will have to deal with since the results are amazing.
2. June Jacobs
The shampoo is made of lemon extracts, and it is free of parabens and any form of preservatives. The lemon extracts make it very effective in leaving your hair free of greasiness, soft and shiny, and your scalp.
- It has the ability to neutralize free radicals protecting your hair from environmental toxins
- The lemon in the shampoo balances your hair, improves the shine, and refreshes the scalp
- It is suitable for both your hair and the scalp
- It leaves your hair shiny after use
- It is a bit pricey
3. Homeopathic Dandruff Shampoo
It is made of natural ingredients including cypress, lemon, and basil, all of which help it in reestablishing the pH and sebum levels of your scalp.
- Minimizes scalp skin pores hence resulting in growth of healthy hair
- Helps in killing germs hence reducing skin irritation
- Effective in removing grease from your hair
- Best shampoo for oily hair and with dandruff problem
- It has a pleasant aroma from the ingredients
It might not be available in local stores leaving you with only one choice, buying it online
4. Christina Moss Naturals
If you like using natural products, this is the best shampoo for thin oily hair for both men and women.
- It doesn’t have any smell
- It leaves your hair feeling soft but grease free
- It only requires a drop but does a marvelous cleaning job since it lathers easily
- The bottle tends to leak the shampoo after you open it for the first time
5. TRESemme Deep Cleansing Shampoo
This is one of the best drugstore shampoo for oily hair that you can get at any drugstore. It is rich in vitamin C and has grapefruit and lemon extract that help it work wonders. With these ingredients, it can clarify and gently remove heavy grease residuals and build-up in your hair hence restoring your hair shine.
- It helps get rid of excess oils from your hair
- It prevents oil build-up from gels, creams, and any other hair product that you may have used
- You can use it on a daily basis if your oily hair problem is too advanced
- Lemon and grape fruit extracts makes it suitable for deep cleansing
- You only use a few drops to have you hair clean and hence lasts longer
- Some users have complained that the shampoo leaves their hair too oily after use
6. Biota Botanicals
The ingredients and the formula for this shampoo is specifically made for oily hair. It is more of a herbal care shampoo and the best shampoo for thin oily hair and hence your number one choice if your hair is damaged.
- It is the only shampoo that is clinically approved for thin oily hair
- It leaves your hair stronger, healthier, and thick
- It is effective in removing excess oil build up leaving your hair clean and manageable.
- Your hair may feel dry a day after use
7. Desert Essence Organicso
It is made of tea tree and lemon oils which are very useful in removing excess oils and grease from your hair. In addition, it has maca root ingredient which helps in strengthening your hair.
- It has a variety of options to choose from ranging from green apple grape, coconut, Italian apple grape, raspberry.
- It has fragrance free option for those who don’t fancy smells in hair products
- Effective in removing grease from your hair
- It can leave some heads feeling itchy and especially if you are the sensitive type.
8. Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo
If you are looking for the best shampoo and conditioner for oily hair, the Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo might be just what you are looking for. It is suitable for cleansing your hair as well as soothing your scalp.
- Leaves your hair feeling fresh and bold and looking shiny
- Helps reduce oil production in your hair
- It might leave some hairs feeling too dry
9. L’Oreal Paris Hair Care Expert Shampoo
This shampoo helps to keep your hair root clean and health hence making your hair look bold and strong. It is silicone free and hence best dry shampoo for oily hair but with a sensitive skin.
- It helps to keep your hair hydrated
- Works on the roots which makes your hair strong and healthy
- Leaves your hair looking shiny and manageable
- Might require you use it with your regular shampoo after using it for a while
10.Pantene Pro-V Sheer Volume Shampoo & Conditioner
This is one of the best volume shampoo and conditioner for oily hair that you can get in the stores. It deeply cleans your hair leaving it feeling fresh and grease free. You can get it on Amazon for only $12.59 and the best thing is that it comes with a matching conditioner.
- It is the best drugstore shampoo for oily hair
- It leaves your hair sparkling clean
- It lathers well hence you do not have to use much
- The smell is not very pleasant
BEST SHAMPOO FOR OILY HAIR-A SIMPLE BUYING GUIDE
Oily hair and its related problems are common. If that is your hair type, you can rest assured that you are not alone. The major problem people face is not the oil hair that they have, but how to control it and manage to have a great hair. Well, there are some ways to deal with the situation, but the most effective way is to wash your hair regularly with a relevant and effective shampoo. Awkward, right? It is true that many people have their reservations about a continued use of shampoo and related products, but it remains the most effective way to manage an oily hair. The trick here is to understand all the benefits of using shampoo for oily hair and then channel them in a way that helps you fight the greasy hair menace.
BENEFITS OF SHAMPOO FOR OILY HAIR
While shampoo is known for cleaning and moisturizing hair, some are designed specifically for controlling oily hair. This means essentially that there are specific benefits attached to their usage.
Dry shampoo is a typical example of an oily hair shampoo. It is known to always leave the hair nice and dry after every use. Additionally, it increases hair volume, thereby giving it a holistic and pleasant look (we all want that). Oily hair has several unpleasant side effects which also includes a reduction in hair volume. Dry shampoo, however, has the essential formulation tailored to cut or eliminate these unwanted side-effects. So, choose the best dry shampoo for oily hair is essential.
Also, shampoo for oily hair (dry shampoo) sometimes does not need water. It is essentially made from water and other active ingredients, so it is effective in hair oil reduction. This brings about an unprecedented level of convenience when you are applying shampoo to your hair. You also do not have to worry about hair loss and damage, as blowing and other heat related styling are not associated with the use of a dry shampoo.
Asides all the above-stated benefits, dry shampoo for oily hair has a special effect on blonde hair. If you have a blonde hair, dry shampoo and its essential formulation give the basis for lightening up your hair from its roots. These special shampoos also make sure your hair is clean and dry all the time while also eliminating bacteria and stubborn dandruff.
TYPES OF SHAMPOO FOR OILY HAIR
As we have established earlier, shampoo for oily hair is unique and exert specific effects. However, there are different types, and the retail market parades a number of them. A few who can also be found on amazon are highlighted below.
Neutrogena Shampoo (Anti-residue)
This product is a complete package. Its formulation and composition are perfect for controlling oil accumulation in your hair, and it also comes in an attractive, sleek bottle. Asides its glowing reputation and excellent ratings, it is also the perfect anti-residue shampoo. It eliminates residue accumulation and controls oily hair effectively. Most importantly, it works well for all hair types.
Head and Shoulder (Oil Control Shampoo)
This brand has over the years maintained a reputation of eliminating stubborn hair dandruff. It is, however, also known for its oily hair cleaning ability. This particular shampoo is crafted with a rare combination of mango and citrus essence. A combination that will always leave your hair and scalp healthy and clean after every use.
Leonor Greyl is crafted from the best wheat germ oil with vitamin A, E and F. This helps to rejuvenate your hair and give it the much-needed strength and vitality. It is the perfect treatment for an oily, thin, dry, and limp hair. Overall, it adds to your hair shiny outlook, brilliance and cosmetic balance.
Maple Holistic Shampoo
As the name suggests, this shampoo provides a holistic cure for oil and greasy hair. Maple holistic Shampoo’s natural components make it rather unique and a top choice if you are looking for a natural solution for your oily hair. It works well for oily, itchy and greasy hair. Oily hair produces flakes, and Maple Holistic Shampoo has the right formulation that takes care of them as well as the entire health of your hair.
Looking for the right shampoo for your oily hair? Bioken shampoo may just be the solution you have earnestly searched for. It is made from the finest of herbs and bee propolis (mostly found naturally in bee hives), making it an alternative natural solution for an oily hair. It is also a multipurpose shampoo. It is used on both oily and normal hair (a good option when you are on a budget but also have a family that consists of people with different hair types). These are some of the best, but you can always find others listed on Amazon.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER BEFORE PURCHASING A SHAMPOO FOR OILY HAIR
Hair type: You need to know your hair type before you make a move to buy shampoo. A mistake here could mean that you are putting square pegs in round holes. Oily hair as we have already stated requires shampoo that can moisturize and clean it, and also leave it dry and healthy. A dry hair may not need a shampoo of this nature.
Hair loss: If you are experiencing hair loss, you may want to settle for shampoo that contains ingredients that can boost hair volume. Oily hair leads to a reduction in hair volume, so making use of shampoo for oily hair is your best option.
Check Shampoo Label: Your hair is precious, so be sure of the components of the shampoo you are adding to it. Make sure to check the product label for list ingredients that will boost your hair and its health. Avoid Shampoo with Sulfate!
Price: Paying more for shampoo does not automatically make it the best. Make sure what you are paying for can give what your hair needs.
– Most importantly, stay natural as much as you possibly can
Q: WHAT SHOULD A GOOD SHAMPOO HAVE?
A: A good shampoo will always have the following attributes
Does not contain Sulfate? Sulfates are chemicals/detergents that are harmful to the health of your hair.
Contains great moisturizer and cleaning effects.
Contains a rich blend of natural ingredients and antiseptics.
Has a cleaning effect that does not leave harmful side effects?
Note: Sulfates are part of the ingredients used by most companies to enhance the cleaning effect of their shampoo, but if you want to stay natural, you need to avoid it.
MAJOR POINTS AND FEATURES TO CONSIDER
– Sulfates may not have an immediate effect on your hair, but their chemical attributes suggest that they will work in the long run. Stay natural!
– Check out the list of best shampoo for oily hair on Amazon and make your choice based on the criteria highlighted in this article.
– Know your hair type; it will help you select the best shampoo for your oily hair.
Sojourn: Shampoo for oily hair
Schwarzkopf: Overcoming greasy hair